[lit-ideas] Re: It's still the same old story...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:37:54 EDT

Mike, don't leave us!  You're one of the sane voices around!   Think Bill
Moyers!

Molly Ivins TUESDAY, JULY 25,  2006, AND  THEREAFTER

REALITY-BASED  CANDIDATE

AUSTIN, Texas -- Dear desperate  Democrats,

Here's what we do. We run Bill Moyers for president. I am  serious as a
stroke about this. It's simple, cheap and effective, and it will  move the
entire
spectrum of political discussion in this country. Moyers is the  only public
figure who can take the entire discussion and shove it toward moral  clarity
just by being there.

The poor man who is currently our president  has reached such a point of
befuddlement that he thinks stem cell research is  the same as taking human
lives,
but that 40,000 dead Iraqi civilians are  progress toward democracy.

Bill Moyers has been grappling with how to fit  moral issues to political
issues ever since he left Southwestern Baptist  Theological Seminary and went
work for Lyndon Johnson in the teeth of the  Vietnam War. Moyers worked for
years in television, seriously addressing the  most difficult issues of our
day.
He has studied all different kinds of  religions and different approaches to
spirituality. He's no Holy Joe, but he is  a serious man. He opens minds -- he
doesn't scare people. He includes people in,  not out. And he sees through
the dark search for a temporary political advantage  to the clear ground of the
Founders. He listens and he respects  others.

Do I think Bill Moyers can win the presidency? No, that seems  like a very
long shot to me. The nomination? No, that seems like a very long  shot to me.

Then why run him? Think, imagine, if seven or eight other  Democratic
candidates, all beautifully coiffed and triangulated and carefully  coached to
say
nothing that will offend anyone, stand on stage with Bill Moyers  in front of
cameras for a national debate â what would happen? Bill Moyers would  win,
would
walk away with it, just because he doesn't triangulate or calculate  or trim
or try to straddle the issues. Bill Moyers doesn't have to endorse a
constitutional amendment against flag burning or whatever wedge issue du jour
Republicans have come up with. He is not afraid of being called "unpatriotic."
And
besides, he is a wise and a kind man who knows how to talk on TV.

It  won't take much money -- file for him in a couple of early primaries and
just  get him into the debates. Think about the potential Democratic
candidates. Every  single one of them needs SPINE, needs political courage.
What Moyers
can do is  not only show them what it looks like and indeed what it is, but
also how people  respond to it. I'm damned if I want to go through another
presidential primary  with everyone trying to figure out who has the best
chance
to win instead of  who's right. I want to vote for somebody who's good and
brave and who should  win.

One time in the Johnson years, LBJ called on Moyers to say the  blessing at a
dinner. "SPEAK UP, Bill," Lyndon roared. "I can't hear you."  Moyers replied,
"I wasn't speaking to you, sir." That's the point of a run by  Moyers: He
doesn't change to whom he is speaking just because some president is  yelling
at
him.

To let Moyers know what you think of this idea, write him  at PO Box 309,
Bernardsville, NJ, 07924.

COPYRIGHT 2006 CREATORS SYNDICATE  INC.
Until later.... Ev