[lit-ideas] Re: It's Friday!

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:34:34 -0600

I thought that would get a rise out of Mr. McEvoy.  Glad he didn't
disappoint me.  But. of course, he's wrong.  He experiences country music
from a different country.  He thinks it's poignant and honestly
sensitive and truth telling by simple people who've never heard of Popper.
And likely never will.  George Jones and the whole Nashville music
scene even St. Hank Williams are nothing more than just a bunch of ignorant
hillbillies strumming banjos and gitars (sic) rather than working for a
living.  I do like a few songs such as "Dropkick me, Jesus, Through the
Goal Post Of Life"  and "Taller than Jesus"  And then there's RL Burnside
with some wonderfully funny "blues" songs such as "Nothing Man" wherein he
'sings': "You can't arrest me, I pay rent here."  Most country and blues
songs are sad, sappy songs about walking the floors and standing by your
man and the dog dying and grandma getting run over by an 18 wheeler -- they
just don't cut it with me.  Same goes from most blues songs.  All I can
think is "give me a break". And let's not even mention hiphop, rap or what
ever you call that rhyming crime shit.

Mike Geary
believer in Dylan as a genre unto himself
in Memphis