[lit-ideas] Re: It's Botox for you, dear bridesmaids - International Herald Tribune

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:30:48 -0500

 I couldn't agree more.  There is indeed little or nothing to be learned
from the absurd.

Yet, having just returned from a brief hiatus in a rural somewhere where
most were discussing this above all else, I'm left with neither a wholly
nor holistically satisfactory response to these ringing questions.  The
inquires were never posed in pursuit of an anwer.  Rather, a helpless
assertion of, "It ain't us, it's one of them."

They speak more of the society that surrounds the incident...

"Li.  That's a weird name. What country is that from?"

"Second-degree murder?  He had a hunting knife!  He was planning
something!"

"He's gotta be sick!"  (Read connotatively. not denotatively)

"I'm just happy that ni--black guys don't come to buy from me except
you.  And you're not like most black guys."

In the midst of these questions, I visited a couple of mates: one, a
dreadlocked nigga, and the other, literally three minutes walk away,
whose neighbour still has a porch-monkey fishin' off the back stoop.

mournfully, learning from the response,
d.

  Ursula wrote

  This came up in the kitchen about fifteen minutes ago and we
  decided not even to talk about it. It's so far beyond normal life,
  it seems there's little or nothing to be learned from it. Ursula
  happy for your happier experience

  David Ritchie wrote:
  > Meanwhile in the real Alberta, unreal this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/world/americas/01briefs-BUSPASSENGER_BRF.html?em

Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com