[lit-ideas] Re: Is there a Sanity Clause?

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:48:42 -0500

Robert Paul wrote:

My favorite Santa story was in the paper I used to work for.  Someone
wrote a memoir about the extraordinary efforts his father made to try
to convince him of the truth of the matter even, one year, throwing
dung of some sort on the roof, which everyone was then invited to
inspect.  "Look, reindeer dung!"

Child, poking a finger into the deposit and sniffing it: 'Reindeer dung? C'mon,
Dad, I know reindeer dung when I smell it. What is this stuff?'

I think the main purpose for lying to children about Santa Claus is so that children become disillusioned.

That's a good thing.

We are all fallible human beings. We all make mistakes. We all are deceptive about something, in some fashion.

But that doesn't stop us from loving our children. Children need to know we love them, more than they need to know they can trust us absolutely.

When they find out we deliberately deceived them, they know an important truth: We love them, but we can't be trusted 100%.

I think this makes it possible for children to grow up.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA