[lit-ideas] Re: Is there a Sanity Clause?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:34:56 -0800

On Mar 12, 2007, at 3:49 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

You were much kinder to Santa than we were -- he only got cookies and *milk* from us.

Julie Krueger
(who wants to teach their children that Santa is a lush?)

See I never understood why someone who was running about in the snow all night on an open sleigh would want a glass of milk. And what's the lesson in, "Let's leave a glass of milk out so that Santa can get food poisoning from milk that's gone off?"

Why brandy? To warm him up, and because I generally don't drink brandy, thus adding to the air of mystery.

My favorite Santa story was in the paper I used to work for. Someone wrote a memoir about the extraordinary efforts his father made to try to convince him of the truth of the matter even, one year, throwing dung of some sort on the roof, which everyone was then invited to inspect. "Look, reindeer dung!"

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon