[lit-ideas] Re: Is it just me? (Ain't we got fun)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:44:54 EST

It's unusual for it to get below freezing here (central Missouri) at the
same time that there is significant precipitation.  It's been a few weeks,
now,
of sub-zero weather (not including wind chills).  Two weeks solid of  ice
(following the 2-foot snow-storm), which, although the main roads are clear,
continue to be giant ice cubes in driveways and parking lots.  This makes  it
difficult-near-impossible to drag the frozen into the ground trash barrels  out
the curb, e.g.  Or to bring up firewood which is embedded in the ice  to be
pulled out and then carried from the wood-pile, across a slick surface  which
ice-skates might manipulate, into the house, for heat.  Schools have  been
closed for over a week, because the ice is so thick in the parking lots  that
no
amount of bull-dozing works -- it only compacts the ice.  Temp's  have been
below freezing since this started, but if they manage to reach an
above-freezing
temp today, whatever melts will simply re-freeze, only harder  each time.   I
guess you haven't seen the pic's or news from MO.   Ninety percent of
Springfield, for example, has been without power for  days.  300 Miles of
interstate
highway in the Texas area have been closed  for two days.  I understand the
"yeah, you guys got it good" mentality --  my folks were from Colorado, and
when
2" of snow brings Columbia to its knees  they are in hysterics -- well, my
Dad is -- Mom passed away a couple months ago  -- but even the most intrepid
drivers with 4-wheel drive cannot get traction on  a couple of inches of
frozen-solid ice.  Hence the digging out of the wood  issue.  And since we
experience
severe winter weather so seldom, the state  is not exactly prepared.  Lots of
cinders and salt ice-melt, but not  enough.  Like I said, my husband's from
Minnesota (where it was 27 below  zero) and well-accustomed to this weather.
But most Missourians are not,  and are ill-equipped to deal with it, never mind
the utility companies.

Crawling under the covers, having made three attempts today to free some
logs from the woodpile.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Is it just me?
(Ain't we got fun)  Date: 1/18/2007 3:08:59 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_pas@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:pas@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 04:03 PM 1/18/2007, you wrote:

I now have to hate  you, Paul.  And I really didn't want to.

how cold is  it there,?
where is there?
how cold is it USUALLY there in the middle of  the Winter?

wondering what "they" blamed the snow in Malibu on in  1962,
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON,  Canada