[lit-ideas] Re: Is Bush unopposed?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:02:23 +0100

Monday, September 6, 2004, 6:43:29 PM, Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

CK> Dear All,
CK> Surely I'm not the only listmember who's scared that Kerry's committing
CK> political suicide, leaving us to the unthinkable 4 more years. I'm referring
CK> specifically to Kerry's announcement (at Bush's request, yet) that he would
CK> indeed have voted for the war in Iraq, "if he'd known then what he knows
CK> now."  Meaning, Kerry would have approved the invasion of Iraq by Bush, even
CK> though the WMD "reason" was unfounded, and even though the commission found
CK> no link between 9/11 to Saddam--in short, even though there was no reason
CK> for the invasion, aside from Bush's insistence on it.

Depends on what those precious 6 per cent of undecided voters (I
suspect there are more, or were) believe and want. Kerry seems to me
to be in a cleft stick here.

CK> Since then, Kerry's tactics at the Dem convention struck me as plain stupid.
CK> Obviously, Bush's Vietnam record is a non-issue among those who'd vote for
CK> him, or at best, a minor incident, yet Kerry themed the convention around
CK> his war record, not his anti-war record.

His war record is (potentially) a winner -- or so I would have said.
But Clinton 'phoned him for 90 minutes pre-op to tell him to
concentrate on the economy and welfare, not war, and it looks as
though he may have begun to do that.   (And he has added Clinton
campaign people to his team.)

CK> I admit that I just don't get it. Could someone here illuminate the Dem
CK> party's lay-down-and-die-ism? Kerry knew who he was dealing with, and he
CK> knew they weren't clean, kid-gloves types. (Didn't he?)

Yes. Yet it took him two weeks to respond to the Swift Boat Veterans
For Truth thing.

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx