[lit-ideas] Re: Is Bush unopposed?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:48:01 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/2004 8:31:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
mccreery@xxxxxxx writes:
We can't  keep them from doing that. What we can do is refuse to panic,
dig in our  heels and work our buns off. Going into Chicken Little mode
is, for sure,  the way to wind up fried chicken.

Hi,
Oh, I do hope you are correct.  <sigh>

I am in Missouri (like Julie) which is primarily an 'undecided'  state.  The
'swift boat' ads (funded by Bush folks) definitely have had an  impact
(primarily in both KC and St. Louis).

USA Today was recently in Liberty, MO (a suburb of KC near mine) as it is
the 'true example' of one of Missouri's Undecided Small Towns.

I live across the street from a family who invited me (yesterday) to a Bush
rally on Tuesday (he will be in my suburb on Tuesday...the wife has tickets
and  the husband cannot go--they both know that I voted for Bush and am one of
the  Great Disillusioned of the Republican Party...she calls me a 'smoker who
has  quit' as I feel quite strongly that every problem that has been created by
Bush  (and there are many <wry look>) as well as the bewilderment that I feel
as  all that the Republican Party USED to stand for is now being stood for by
the  Democrats [even my mom--die-hard Republican--says the same...].)  We had
 dinner tonight with more Bush-supporters.  The primary support comes from
his rhetoric (it seems to me...) as he claims to be this incredible born-again
Christian (who will support Israel even though they will not be raptured with
 the rest of the Christians but who will live with 'us' in Paradise[thank
goodness Ben and I are included <wry look> <g>])  (They explain  away Cheney's
flip-flop on the whole marriage amendment [which Missouri  overwhelming
passed--both Dems and Republicans which shows where the heart  is...] because
of his
daughter--and have compassion on his having to publicly  say that he is not
one way or the other--kind of like the woman in my workplace  whose sister [gay
and married] would be horrified if she knew what her sister  really thought of
her lifestyle...<sigh>.  Hyprocrisy is okay if it  is to keep peace in a
family, I guess...)

  (Of course, there were only FOUR people involved in the Kerry  campaign
before the Dem convention in Missouri.  Since then, there are a  few
others--but
they really don't [in KC at least] have a clue as to how to go  about
encouraging others. [for example--we did get a flyer on our steps this  weekend
as we
had signed up to get more info--but there was NO local phone  number on the
flyer so as to assist...[my neighbors also got one <g> as my  friend has signed
up for the Union information...]

I hope you are right about Kerry being able to pull up from behind.   Right
now, in Missouri, it seems it would be slim at best. (and the polls say  that
Bush is ahead...)  Oddly enough, though, the wild card that I see is  that of
John Edwards--and I wish wish that the Kerry people would use him more  in
Missouri.  <sigh>  He has both the ability to be the 'fresh'  voice that has
not
been heard, the religious rhetoric that is needed [and, of  course, is totally
true...as that is important...though of a different slant and  tune ...] and
he speaks to what really will make a difference -- the  pocketbook.  (I think
Kerry does, too, but I think the whole focus on  security/etc. has distracted
from what some of his ideas really are...)

Anyway...I did like the Wall Street Journal opinion article which stated
that the worst thing for the Republican party would be for Bush to be
re-elected.  I do agree--and hope IF it does happen that those in the
Democratic party
will assist someone like John Edwards who could truly go  toe-to-toe with
anyone in terms of both charisma as well as intellect and  ideas--to end up
being
the one to put the pieces together (presuming Bush does  not totally destroy
everything.)  What I tell those I know who are either  undecided or more
pro-Bush than pro-Kerry--if we have to go through Kerry to get  Edwards, then
so be
it.  And, oddly enough...the pro-Bush people can deal  with and agree with
that.  They are not so much as pro-Bush as they are  'better the devil we
know...' and willing to 'take on faith' --which is kind of  interesting...

Hoping that all is as it is "supposed to be" <g>,
Marlena in Missouri