[lit-ideas] Re: Inflewenza

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:43:57 -0700

"As an undergraduate the only teachers of philosophy I reall got to know were my own tutors: John Mabbott and Paul Grice", and "The Dict. of Twentieth-Century Philosphers" online reads "Inf Personal influences include Paul Grice, John Mabbott and Gilbert Ryle", in that order.

Well, yes, that is the right /alphabetical/ order, something dear to the hearts of editors. Whether it is an indication of who influenced the young Flew the most, is another question. The /Guardian/'/s/ obituary says. 'Flew's work was partly influenced by his early teachers, in particular Gilbert Ryle.' But what would the /Guardian/ know? They probably don't even know that the person who most stimulated Wittgenstein's later thought was the economist Pieero Sraffa.

Robert Paul,
settling in for the night