[lit-ideas] Re: Inflewenza

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:52:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/14/2010 5:43:16 P.M., rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

Robert  Paul
The Reed Institute

-----

Thanks for the links and the input. Will check. Yes, indeed, there was that
 polemic. I don't think I understand DEISM.

At present, I just sent something to S. Clark's CHORA forum, which he may
distribute re: C. S. Lewis's inluence on Flew.

Flew condides on p. 191 of his "Philosophical Essays":

"As an  undergraduate the only teachers of philosophy I reall got to know
were my own  tutors: John Mabbott and Paul Grice", and "The Dict. of
Twentieth-Century  Philosphers" online reads "Inf Personal influences include
Paul
Grice, John  Mabbott and Gilbert Ryle", in that order.

----

I THINK There was a connection of C. S. Lewis and St. John's, so I would
think that Flew became who he was mainly at St. John's -- 'alma mater' not
called for nothing (sic).

Anyway, it would be good to revise all the formulations of 'theism',
atheism, deism, in the thought of A. G. N. Flew. Indeed, one online site, I
think, argues that Flew was 'demented' when he argued that he had become a
'deist'.

-------

Etc.

JLSperanza