[lit-ideas] Re: Inferring the Poodle Card

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:38:06 -0700

On Oct 30, 2010, at 2:48 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

> David: "Sheltie or scampering thing of that ilk."
>
> Sir:  You insulted two of my children.  I don't like it.  Why don't you write
> one of your great poems instead?
>
> Veronica Caley

At the dog park there are a pair of shelties.  One always runs after the ball;
the other always rushes after, barking instructions.  "A little to the right.
Watch out for slippery bits; you never know when you're going to run into one
at this time of year.  Mind the bicyclist."  I compare them to the fellow in
"Keeping Up Appearances," who drives with Mrs. Bucket's incessant instruction.

David Ritchie,
whose border collie, a relative of the sheltie, seldom barks in
Portland, Oregon