[lit-ideas] Re: Inferring the Poodle Card

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:30:23 -0400

On 10/28/2010 5:01 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:
The UK as world-soul - with perhaps the US as just
one of its many manifestations / incarnations -
would be a metaphor as dear to United Empire
Loyalists as it would be abhorent to (among
others) both 'original' Tea Partiers and their (to
us) contemporary name-sakes.

In part, the original Tea Party began as a reaction to a reduction of tea prices that made smuggling tea less profitable for Yanks.

As for UK as world soul, the US foreign policy of the entire 19th century was shaped by avoiding conflict with the UK, playing them off against the French, stopping Spain (and later the Germans) from expanding their colonial influence in the hemisphere.

The Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine, for example, was proclaimed to prevent European nations from invading Mexico (or other nations) to collect on defaulted debts. Essentially the US had to say, "Keep out! We'll collect your debt for you," rather than let "the world soul" get a grip on parts of the hemisphere. Because we stopped the world soul and other Euro powers from setting up shop in this hemisphere, we started to get the "imperialist" label.

That said, yes, England, land of hope and glory!