[lit-ideas] Re: If Not the US, Who?

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 05:45:03 -0800 (PST)

I'll read the book over weekend, Victor sounds like an
intelligent chap based on the stuff available on
Counsil on Foreign Relations site,
http://www.cfr.org/bios/bio.html?id=3131

It does seem to me that he shares the curiously
American pre-occupation of looking only at the energy
production side of things. He makes a good point that
power generation facilities are renewed during a
decades long capital cycle, but this seems too
simplistic to me, converting an oil burner to use wood
is a modification and not a complete replacement. And
at the quick glance through his writing, he doesn't
seem to have lot say on the consumption, which is
anyway renewed much more rapidly. The big issue is how
energy prices change transportation costs and thus
entire logistics systems. In plain English, if the
cost of transporting eggs rises you'll have more
chicken farms closer to the consumer.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finlans