[lit-ideas] Re: If Not the US, Who?

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:25:28 -0800 (PST)

Yes, the resistance to change from US government
precedes and exceeds GWB. But as Eric quotes
wikipedia:

> George W. Bush, has indicated that he does not
> intend to submit the treaty for ratification, not
> because he does not support the general idea,

If he supports the "general idea", but disagrees on
the implementation, I would expect some particular
ideas on how to do it.

> but  because of the strain he believes the treaty
> would put on the economy;

This is so vague that it is effectively meaningless.
There are myriad ways to bring about lower CO2
emissions, most simple of which is to use tax policy
in  one way or another to drive up the cost of CO2
heavy energy sources. Econ 101 suggests that this is
good tax policy as such, you tax things you don't want
like pollution and not the things you do want like
jobs. And also it is common sense that higher energy
prices make more energy efficient technologies more
competitive, such as building cars from lighter
materials like carbon fiber (about half the weight
relative to equally strong steel, but higher material
costs) or using heat pumps for cooling and heating
(which cuts electricity consumption to half or less).
How this would wreck the economy remains a complete
mystery to me.

> he emphasizes the
> uncertainties he asserts are present in the
> climate change issue.

The uncertainty is in degrees of bad, what policy
implications these uncertainties have is also a
mystery to me. For good, reliable and up to date
information and thorough debunking of the so called
skeptics, but also misinformed environmentalist and
press, try the Real Climate blog run by a bunch of
scientists at http://www.realclimate.org/

> Furthermore, he is not happy
> with the details of the treaty. For example, he
> does not support the split between Annex I
> countries and others.

Great. I'm looking forward to him proposing a treaty
that includes all nations and all uses, such as
aviation which is currently exempt. It's taken six
years to come up with a draft so it must be very good.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://mail.yahoo.com