[lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this only 5,000 times (allo allo)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:30:23 EST

Oy vey.  You guys are killing me.  Dredging up long-lost  memories.  I was
fed vienna sausages as a child with frequency.  I  remember liking them.  Then
remember thinking of feeding them to my kids,  tasting one and thinking they
were vile.  I picked up a can of smoked  vienna sausages on a lark for my now
13-year old daughter.  She had no  recollection of them at all.  She ate the
entire can in about 2 1/2  minutes.  Maybe she was just very hungry.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this
only 5,000 times (allo  allo)  Date: 3/9/2007 1:51:40 P.M. Central Standard
Time  From: _atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
EY:
> Often went on fishing and camping  trips with parents when I was very young
> and we often  ate:
>
> Corned Beef from can [beef equivalent of Spam]
>  Baked beans from can
> mixed in frying pan over campfire with heavy daubs  of mustard.
> w/ raw turnip quarters and endive salad

And you think  you might have lived a more hard scrabble life than me?!!  Ha!
Yours  was posh.  Whenever I went fishing we never had a campfire,  we always

ate in the fishing boat, opening a can of Vienna Sausage that we'd pass
around (they were stuffed in the cans upside down and tight as sardines and
coated with some kind of jellied goop) we'd have to pull them out of the can
with our fingers that were coated with worm shit / cricket guts.  But
believe it or not, I remember it as tasting good.  I've tried them  since, of
course, but always found them terribly bland.  It must have  been the
worm-shit and cricket guts that spiced them up.  Or maybe I  was just very
hungry.

Mike Geary
Memphis