[lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this only 5,000 times (allo allo)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:54:04 EDT

Amen.  When my children were toddlers I made the choice to take them  to
Sunday School simply because I wanted them to have some exposure to  God-talk.
framework of sorts with which to deal with the mysteries which  so overwhelm
children.  In the years following, they have spent a  significant amount of
time in a Jewish synagogue, an Evangelical Church, and  (courtesy of friends
they
love) a Lutheran Church and Catholic Mass.  There  is now, finally, an Ashram
in the community.  My husband used to tell me I  was going to confuse them
horribly.  My take is that they be exposed to as  many versions of Myth as
possible.  Sorting out what path, if any, they  wish to take.  My younger
daughter
is truly a born pantheist.  She  doesn't need any buildings.  Just the
out-doors and animals, to know what  she needs to know.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this
only 5,000 times (allo  allo)  Date: 3/12/2007 3:42:21 P.M. Central Daylight
Time  From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Not being religious myself, I didn't send my kids  to Sunday School.
Years later, I wished I had.   I could  have, of course, provided some
substitute for the religious stories that  they missed, the myth that
underlies so much of our cultural heritage (this  is changing even as we
speak, of course).   They didn't know what  cutting off Sampson's hair
meant.   They didn't know that Eve's  creation from Adam's rib (as an
afterthought) lay behind some people's  devaluation of women.  They
didn't recognize the lines in Moby Dick (I  only am left behind to tell
the story) came from the heart of the Story of  Job.   All diminutions of
their ability to get every drop of  promise and imagination out of
literature.

It isn't not  believing in Santa Claus that's the problem.  Millions of
African kids  grow up without Santa and are not harmed.  What's harmful
is not  participating in and understanding the myths around you.   Not
having myths is an impoverishment.  When they're older they can  relegate
the myths to their proper place....as embodiments of what we wish  was
true, or of what might have been, and so forth.

Besides  you'd deprive them also of the joy of figuring it out for
themselves.   I detect more than a little pride in your rendition  of
being smarter than your parents.
Ursula

http://www.aol.com.