[lit-ideas] Re: "I said it in Dutch, I said it in German"

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:05:23 +0200

On 18-Jun-09, at 7:14 PM, karltrogge@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On 18-Jun-09, at 1:08 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I never met ANYONE who spoke TWO languages correctly.

A. Perhaps you should get out more often.

and

B. Given the egregious errors in your attempts at other languages on this list (ESPECIALLY German), how would you KNOW?

I do most humbly beg Mr Speranza's pardon - on re-reading this message I see that it COULD be taken far more harshly than it is intended. (Although I have a prejudice against them, I am starting to see why, in the absence of tone of voice and body language, etc., emoticons may have their place.)

Remark A) should be appended with a ;-)

By remark B) I simply mean to say:

Assuming that you have met yourself (a rather odd notion; perhaps worthy of discussion) - if you do not speak (and I'll extend this to 'know') two languages, how can you judge whether someone else can?

The remark about your errors in German was just meant to support a claim that you, for example, cannot be a judge as to whether someone speaks both German and English correctly, as your knowledge of German is insufficient. Since you cannot judge whether someone speaks German and English correctly, it follows from that that you DO NOT KNOW whether you know anyone who speaks German and English correctly. From this it follows that (even though you may be proficient in ALL other languages - in which case i would like to introduce you to yourself as a further counter to your claim ;-) - and have never met anyone who spoke any two of THOSE correctly) you do not and cannot know whether you have met anyone who speaks two languages correctly (whether you get out more or not ;-)).

Once again, my apologies for sending an e-mail without recognizing that it could possible be taken as offensive (even though no offense was intended).

Unfortunately this makes my third message of the day - so my remarks on Mr Speranza's remarks on Quine's METHODS OF LOGIC will have to go unposted. Perhaps in the meantime Mr Spreanza would like to re-read it and rephrase his remarks about Quine's opinion of the existential quantifier. (In his haste I think he has come off the rails there.) Anyone else see the problem?

(We have not included artificial languages in our discussion of linguistic ability. Here I am sure many subscribers to this list are multilingual. I know - and can produce documentary evidence upon request - that I am.)

Karl Trogge
Hamburg