[lit-ideas] Re: "I said it in Dutch, I said it in German"

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 03:35:52 -0400 (EDT)

I speak four, if you need to check their correctness you are invietd to dinner in LA, or Durban, or venice, or Paris

hasta pronto, speranza

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Donal McEvoy wrote:

--- On Thu, 18/6/09, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I never met ANYONE who spoke TWO languages correctly.

This thesis is different from the original claim the Dutch do not speak two
languages, even if they speak one in- or less correctly.

But even here, as many English will admit, an educated Dutch will often speak and
understand English more "correctly" than most English. This seems to refute
even the second claim.

What is perhaps of interest is what happens when people are bi-lingual: do they
somehow 'translate' from one prioritised language to the other or do they
simply switch without need to 'translate', for example? I suggest that both
happen and that perhaps the second occurs when a certain level of
mastery/fluency/absorption happens. In a way it is a matter of what language we
naturally reach for in our circumstance, and we reach often instinctively and
without reflection.

There is a true story of a (German?) spy interrogated by the Belgians(?). Not
only had the spy to show mastery of the Belgian language so his interrogators
could have no scintilla of evidence that he was not Belgian but also master the
idiom and manner of a Belgian peasant, since being one was his cover story. For
days he was severly interrogated, and despite all suspicions not a scintilla of
evidence to confirm those suspicions emerged from his linguistic behaviour.
Finally his weary interrogator pushed his papers across the table and looked
with an exasperated smile, saying the alleged spy was now free to go. The spy
collected his papers and went to the door and as he got there the interrogator
called out 'Viel Gluck!'. 'Danke' said the spy, who was executed.
(Nationalities may have been altered to protect the innocent, or because memory
fails).

Actually that story is not the one, I must have been thinking of 'The Great
Escape': the true story involves the spy being smoked out by calling out
'Feuer!' so that his response showed he immediately understood. But given JLS's
points about cognate languages, and how we might understand meaning by the
situation, this might seem a dubious kind of test by which to deem someone
worthy of execution.

For clarifcation only:
McEvoy from Eire
He's from Northern Ireland (Eire usually only denotes the Republic).

I was told there is a crazy man in Ireland who was taught Gaelic as a
first-language and almost died in the attempt.
This would doubtless be because of the ruthless and murderous suppression of
Gaelic learning by the English. (Or perhaps the learning was accompanied by
murderous drinking sessions).

Donal
Glad to see Mike enjoyed Across the Green Mountain

?e ??, ?????e?? ?a?eda?µ?????? ? ? ? ?t? t?de
?e?µe?a, t??? ?e???? ??µas? pe???µe???.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.