[lit-ideas] Geary Has Two Tongues

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:47:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/2009 1:09:18 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
karltrogge@xxxxxxxx writes:
At LEAST! My freinds'  CHILDREN are fluently trilingual; and their
parents are fluently  quadrilingual (as well as having classical Greek
and Latin). I think  Mr Speranza is attempting to pull our collective
leg - we must invite  him to try the other one (with bells on) ....

-----

Well, Geary,  trying to patronise me, 'spits' 'metonymy', and fails.

For surely  metonymy would be:

"Geary _is_ a tongue" rather than "he has a tongue"  (never mind two).

Ditto someone may say,

"Speranza _is_ a prick"  metonymically.

I cannot see how you KNOW the children of your friends --  give names and
data -- can be tetralingual. It sounds obscene. Latin does not  count -- it's
a dead language.

I hope you don't mean plattsdeutsche  versus mittelhoghdeutsch.

As Geary said, "We went up the mountains, and  we started to speak "High
Dutch"; the feeling was indescribable" (and goes on  for 5 pages to describe
it).

Cheers,

JL  Speranza
"Where I live, 5 feral girls live"