[lit-ideas] Re: I get 72... raisins?

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:38:27 -0500

Mike Geary wrote:

>... No riots over Abu Graib or Guantanamo.  But tear a page from a "holy book"
>of which there are a 100 million copies and everyone goes crazy.

I like a term Huston Smith invented in THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS.  He said
that for Muslims, the Quran is God "inlibriate" much the way Christians
would say that Jesus is God "incarnate."  One may disagree with either
of these, or both, but one must understand the depth of the belief in
order to deal with either.  Desecrating a consecrated host for Catholics
by defecating on it,  or peeing on Jesus, would feel the same to
Christians as flushing a copy of the Quran would feel to Muslims.