[lit-ideas] Re: "I" as a hypercorrection

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:48:46 EDT

Parents, but Mothers in particular I think, get in the habit of
self-referral in the third person.  Probably because when they have infants
they wish to
teach the infant to recognize them as Mommy, they start with tiny  sentences
like "can you hand the toy to Mommy?", "where's Mommy's nose?",  move on to
"Okay, be a good girl for Mommy and afterwards we'll go for ice  cream" and at
some point a Mommy finds herself in this exchange.

"Okay, Bronwyn, Mom will pick you up at 3:00 this afternoon from 7th grade
band."

"Mom, wouldn't it creep you out if I said, 'Mom today after school Bronwyn
wants to go to the movies.'?".

<sigh>

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] "I" as a
hypercorrection  Date: 10/11/04 7:08:37 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Jlsperanza@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andy Amago writes:
I  thought the "I"  was a hypercorrection.

----

This reminds me of something I was  reading only today. From "The Conquest
of
the River Plate" by  London-born author, R. B. Cunninghame-Graham:

"When Nunez and his  expedition had got across the river to the Chaco, they
were met by a  deputation of the chiefs of the Gaycurus. They came to see him
and  to  fulfil a curious ceremony. 'The principal Indians came to tell the
Governor  that it was their custom when they went to war to make a  present
to the
captain  ...' (* Nunez, in his 'Comentarios' always  speaks of himself in the
third person  as the 'Governor', probably  because he was a gentleman and
disliked to use 'I'  perpetually)." (p.  127).

On the other hand,  ...

Cheers,

JL