[lit-ideas] "I" as a hypercorrection

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:08:20 EDT

Andy Amago writes:
I  thought the "I" was a hypercorrection.

----

This reminds me of something I was reading only today. From "The Conquest  of
the River Plate" by London-born author, R. B. Cunninghame-Graham:

"When Nunez and his expedition had got across the river to the Chaco, they
were met by a deputation of the chiefs of the Gaycurus. They came to see him
and  to fulfil a curious ceremony. 'The principal Indians came to tell the
Governor  that it was their custom when they went to war to make a present to
the
captain  ...' (* Nunez, in his 'Comentarios' always speaks of himself in the
third person  as the 'Governor', probably because he was a gentleman and
disliked to use 'I'  perpetually)." (p. 127).

On the other hand, ...

Cheers,

JL