[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Girly Handwriting

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:43:56 EDT

The sentence could hypothetically have read "Geary sends the letter to
interested parties like  I" with a following "am" implied/understood but
somehow
that *isn't* gramatically correct and for the moment I can't think  why.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Girly
Handwriting  Date: 10/11/04 7:03:20 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Jlsperanza@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 10/11/2004 7:58:53 PM  Eastern Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  thought  the "I" was a hypercorrection.  I took the "like me" as an
objectival.  I think we need we need a professional on  this.   Regarding the
topic,
if you think it's Mike's handwriting,  then leave I  out.

----

No, you are right.  The topic is _not_ Geary's handwriting. It's his
over-all
sexuality  (especially in the Toronto area, etc.).

Back to 'like me'.

I don't  think we need a professional (or 'pro' as Geary calls them), since,

you've just agreed with Prof. Lye that experts don't know (many things).

The original sentence was:

"Geary sends the letter  to interested parties like  I"

I think you are right it should have  been "like me", since it's something
Geary sends to _people_  (objective case). It's not like "I like
strawberries"
where the people  are the subject,  etc.

Cheers,

JL