[lit-ideas] Re: Hurricane Contrition

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:05:06 -0400

Personally, I think Bush is the worst president to come down the pike since
Andew Johnson.  We've been paying for centuries for Johnson's botching of
Reconstruction following the Civil War.  It may be alarmist to say we'll do
the same for Bush's policies, both in Iraq and domestically.  But, unless
the next administration changes things radically, it looks to me that
China's rise and India's rising, Congress's embracing corporations over the
middle class and Bush's impoverishing the country in favor of the ultra
wealthy through his "ownership society" was the perfect storm to turn the
corner of U.S. dominance in the world.  We're still dominant, but under
Bush's leadership, we're passing the baton.  Now that corporations have a
taste for running the country, I wonder how easily they'll give that up.

Andy