[lit-ideas] Re: Hurricane Contrition

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:19:44 -0400

I heard yesterday that Bush accepted responsibility for the
non-responsiveness to Katrina.
_____

Political apologies are special. Nobody has to accept them. Who can say,"Sorry. Apology not accepted"?

And for a politician to say, "I accept responsibility" is not even to offer a rhetorical apology. It's not even the first step in the process of political apology. For who will say, "Okay you've admitted responsibility. Now offer an apology"?