[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens Arguably on John Brown

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:08:54 -0700

Donal,

I did wonder who else might possibly have been able to capture John Brown or
have been involved in his hanging.  That is, the army’s forces especially at
that time were not huge and the names Hitchens mentions, Robert E. Lee,
Stonewall Jackson, and Jeb Stuart were prominent in the army before the war and
prominent on the side of the South during the Civil War.  So they may have been
the most probable people to confront Brown and comprise no coincidence at all.
The presence of John Wilkes Booth seems less “probable” than the others.

The more provocative issue was Brown’s belief that God was willing that slavery
be abolished and that he, John Brown, was responding to God’s will (perhaps an
example of the “propensity for change” you mention below).  The atheist
Hitchens was I’m sure dismissing event after event (as presented in Reynolds’s
book) as “natural” and not requiring God to explain them, but these two events,
the capture and trial of John Brown caused the hair on the back of his neck to
rise, striking him as being rather far from ordinary or natural.

This was just a short review so Hitchens didn’t develop any of his atheistic
themes.  He merely states that John Brown’s capture of Harper’s Ferry did turn
out to be the initial (military) act that resulted in the Civil War that was
the mediate if not the ultimate cause of the freeing of the slaves.

Lawrence