[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens Arguably on John Brown

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

Coincidence is a big deal in nature.  It happens constantly.  An experiment was
done where a class was asked to record, I can't remember exactly, I think it
was heads and tails flipping, what they would think would be a pattern of heads
and tails.  Then actual heads and tails were tossed.  What distinguished the
two was the students were avoiding coincidence, where the actual toss was rife
with coincidences.  In real life too amazing coincidences have occured and do
occur constantly, I won't regale you with them (Newton/Leibnitz, Darwin and the
other guy, maybe somebody remembers his name, etc.).  Coincidence is a very big
deal in nature.  It almost makes one believe in the supernatural, but it's just
plain old coincidence.

Andy