[lit-ideas] Re: "He was her man, but he was doin' her wrong"

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:00:58 EDT

JL -- I am so tempted to ask your address and send you a book my Aunt sent
me once when I was very depressed, to make me laugh.  It's a compilation of
worst Country Song lines.  You could deconstruct each and every one.   "I've
got
Tears in my Ears From Crying Over You" for starters.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] "He was her man, but
he was doin' her wrong"  Date: 10/12/04 8:33:00 AM Central Daylight Time
From: _Jlsperanza@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

In a message dated 10/12/2004 9:20:39 AM  Eastern Standard Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
J.L.   Speranza wrote:

"Actually, it took me to read the whole lyrics to  find  who had done
wrong to who."

I append it below.  Since Enns was reminded of a differant song.

Note the implicature on  verse 3, "but": "He was her man, _but_ he..." Note
also the  progressive tense, "he was doing her wrong" -- it wasn't just a
simple
case  of deceiving, but a deceiving over time -- repeated.

The coda is full of  innuendo. The only evidence Frankie had for Johnny (her
'man' +>  faithful man) was 'doin' her wrong' is that some bartender saw
Johnnie  with a woman called Nelly, surnamed Blye.

There must be more to doing  wrong to a person than that, but the balladeer
never says, until you  reach the stanza 5, when Frankie shoots Johnnie. By
some
accounts,  here it was really she as was doin' him wrong (even if he deserved
it   -- or did she overreact?).

Since the judge says (in Stanza 8) that she  committed 'murder in the second
degree', there is some interpretation  by which _she_ did wrong? (Otherwise
it
would not be called 'murder').  The balladeer has the cheek to say the ballad
has  no 'moral' -- which  is actually a trigger for many to _perceive_ one.

I read the ballad  originates in Liverpool, Little Ireland,  England.

Cheers,

JL

----
From an online  source

G                  G7
Frankie and  Johnnie were lovers, oh Lordy how they could  love.
C       G
They swore to be true to each other, true as the stars   above.
D-D7                   G
He was her man, but he was doin' her   wrong.

G                     G7
Frankie and Johnnie went walking, Johnnie in his brand new   suit.
C                      G
Then "Oh good Lord,"  says Frankie, "don't my Johnnie look real  cute!"
D-D7     G
He was  her man, but he was doin' her  wrong.

G          G7
Frankie she was a good  woman, as everybody  knows.
C              G
Spent a hundred  dollars just to buy her man some  clothes.
D-D7       G
He was her  man, but he was doin' her  wrong.

G           G7
Frankie went down to the corner just for a bucket of   beer,
C                      G
She said to the fat  bartender, "Has my loving Johnnie been  here?"
D-D7       G
He was her  man, but he was doin' her wrong.

G G7
"I  don't want to tell you  no stories, and I don't want to tell you no  lies,
C         G
But I saw your man about an hour ago with gal named  Nellie  Bly.

If he's your man, he's a-doin' you   wrong."

G                    G7
Frankie went down to the hotel,  didn't go there for  fun.
C              G
Underneath her kimono she  carried a forty-four  gun.
D-D7             G
He was her man, but he was doin'  her  wrong.

G                   G7
Frankie looked over the transom and found to her great   surprise
C                    G
There on the bed sat Johnnie a-lovin' up  Nellie  Bly.
D-D7                 G
He was her man, but he was doin' her   wrong.

G                    G7
Now the  first time that Frankie shot Johnnie he let out an awful  yell.
C     G
Second time she shot him, there was a  new man's face in  hell.
D-D7             G
He was her man, but he was doin'  her  wrong.

G                  G7
"Roll me over so easy, roll me over so  slow,
C       G
Roll me over on the right  side, 'cause the left side hurts me  so."
D-D7       G
He was her  man, but he was doin' her  wrong.

G           G7
The judge said to the jury, "It's as plain as plain can be.

C                    G
This woman shot her lover, it's murder  in the second  degree.
D-D7             G
He was her man, tho' he was doin'  her  wrong.

G                  G7
This story has no moral, this story has no  end.

C                    G
This story  only goes to show that there ain't no good in men.

D-D7    G
They'll do you wrong just as sure as you're   born.