[lit-ideas] Re: The Brain and Its Self

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:39:29 +0100 (BST)

 --- Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 10/12/2004 8:57:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> As the  title of one of his books indicates ('The Self and Its Brain')
> Popper
> did  believe in the existence of selves - and unequivocally asserts this in
> that  work. TSAIB is Popper's most developed work on what might be termed
> 'the
> philosophy of mind'.
>
> -----
>
> Ah, but it's a co-author book, and one is never sure if it was Sir John who
>
> _thought_ the brain was a self, etc.
>
> Note that McEvoy was implicaturally wrong when he said:
>
>        Popper wrote "The self and its  brain"

I never said this, did I? Even though it is in fact true that he did (partly)
write TSAIB. I said it was one of his books. It is, even if it was (partly)
co-authored.

Thank you for the reviews. They are right. It is a brilliant, insightful and
original work but steeped in massive appreciation of past writings and
results. The chapter on the history of the mind-body problem (written by
Popper) is itself worth the price of admission.

The third section, where P and E argue the toss and develop their ideas by
way of criticism of each other, is also worth the price of admission alone
and contains important points that are not easily grasped from Popper's other
work (eg. induction, P concedes, is a logical possibility - because it
cannnot be deductively ruled out; nevertheless there is no such thing).

Donal

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com