[lit-ideas] Re: Happy Thanksgiving

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:41:49 -0700

Chris Bruce asked:

Am I remembering correctly that 'church key' is a pseudonym for 'bottle opener'?

It is slang for a certain KIND of bottle opener, one made of thick curved 'wire,' usually copper, shaped vaguely like a key. Those openers with a curved lip (to lift a bottle cap) opposite a sharp point (to puncture the tops of cans) are not church keys. I haven't seen a church key in ages.

Anyone up for a discussion of 'nihilism'? (That 'silence' I've been listening to lately ....)

I'm against all discussions of anything. There's nothing in them.

Robert Paul
Reed College