[lit-ideas] Re: Guardian Unlimited: Denmark's new values

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:23:54 EST

Omar --
I'm curious.  What does that mean to YOU?  What does your
self-identification as an "Islamist" mean in your definitions?  How, to  you,
is being an
"Islamist" different from being a Muslim?
<<*There are also Muslims born in Europe, Lawrence. I
count  myself among them. I also consider myself an
Islamist, but I don't find that  your characterizations
of Islamists are applicable to  me.>>
Julie  Krueger
truly wanting  to know

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Guardian
Unlimited: Denmark's new values  Date: 2/15/06 12:05:25 P.M. Central Standard
Time
From: _omarkusto@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
L.H.:

What is happening in Europe  hasn't surprised those of
us who have been
closely following Islamism.

*This assertion strikes me as self-important. Frankly,
anyone who has  been reading the newspapers or just
watching the TV for some time is not  surprised by
almost anything any more.

Islamism is essentially Fascist  and in Europe
as elsewhere Islamists believe in Islam uber alles.
If they  are Islamists
then they don't believe in integrating into a  European
culture.

*I object to your generalizations about  Islamists.
There are very different opinions among Islamists
including  liberal, Marxist, conservative, radical,
pro-Western, anti-Western etc,  democratic,
authoritatian etc. I don't know of any branch of
Islamism that  thoroughly subscribes to Nazi or Fascist
ideas on the European model, but  some have been
influenced by them.
I am sorry that your extensive reading  about Islamism
has not apparently given you any greater
sophistication  about the subject.

They retain
practices normative for  Islamists.  This would apply
to Islamists who
immigrated to Europe  (and since they are regularly
being chased from Middle
Eastern nations  they antagonize, there are plenty of
them looking for new
homes) and those  who convert to Islamism while in
Europe.

*There are also Muslims born  in Europe, Lawrence. I
count myself among them. I also consider myself  an
Islamist, but I don't find that your characterizations
of Islamists are  applicable to me.

The liberal idea that we can all be just one big  happy
multicultural hymn to
joy was never achievable.  The Islamists  think they
have the better culture,
better laws, better ideals, and they  are firmly
convinced that they have
free passes to paradise while the  atheistic European
infidel is destined for
hell.

*The same  of course applies to their counter-parts in
the West. Frankly I don't think  that the conflict is
about culture, it's really about political ideas  and
interests. Islamism is not even a coherent political
ideology, still  less is it tied to a particular
culture. (Remainder: Bosnia, Turkey, Egypt,  Iran and
Indonesia have very different  cultures.)

O.K.

Do  You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection  around
http://mail.yahoo.com