[lit-ideas] Re: Guardian Unlimited: Denmark's new values

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:49:14 -0800

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I always suspect that you and I had different ways of obtaining information,
Andreas.  While you were outside looking at the moon, I was finishing Robin
Wright's In the Name of God.

Yep. Totally different ways of obtaining information. For those times and positions, I use software that shows me the time that the items rise for you where you live.

I read recently (I believe it was from Wilfred Cantwell Smith's Islam in
Modern History) that all the translations into Arabic during the time from
Mohammad until now, don't equal the translations completed in just one year
in Spain.

Okay, on this one, we agree. The Arabs are fantastically ignorant of the West. I think only four or five books per year are translated into Arabic.

Instead of nuking the sand monkeys, we should spend a bit of money on translating, say, 2,000 books into Arabic. All the Pengins, the American Everymans Library, all of Erica Jong, and so on. The major stuff. That'll really shake up their culture. Give them something to think about. Esp. Erica Jong.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com