[lit-ideas] Re: Grice and Foot on the foundations of morality

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:55:37 -0230

Thanks to Phil for a very thoughtful, well-reasoned and interesting reply. I
believe we disagree on less than his post below suggests. Let me here address
for now what I take to be the crux of the apparent disagreement. Other
interesting matters will have to wait or may be addressed in ripostes to my
response.

The view I am presenting and defending, which in truth is Habermas's Discourse
Theory of moral justification and rightness as I understand it, is an epistemic
thesis on the conditions of justification of claims to moral rightness. It's
fundamental principle (D) is that only those norms (or maxims, policies,
judgements) that could meet with agreement in discourse under conditions of
symmetry and reciprocity can count as justifiable claims to moral rightness.
What makes a claim morally justifiable is that all persons potentially or
actually affected by the judgement reached through discourse could agree to it,
accept or believe it to be right both from their own perspective and from the
perspectives of the other involved interlocutors.

This view does not deny that different cultural, political and philosophical
traditions understand the rightness/wrongness of particular actions or maxims
(such as slavery) in ways reflective of their respective historical
experiences. Culture P may indeed understand why slavery is wrong in terms
different from culture Q. Either P or Q or both may make reference to such
metaphysically realist expressions as "the intrinsic nature of human beings,"
or to "the empirically demonstrable character of the needs and wants of human
beings" in justification of its/their position(s) on the moral impermissibility
of slavery. (Or permissibility?) However, from the perspective of Discourse
Theory, such justificatory appeals do not provide sufficient grounds of
justification. For such empirical or metaphysical appeals invoke "substantive
doctrines" that could not meet with agreement under discursive conditions.

A minor point: I would not want to conflate the conception of the lawfulness of
laws as defined by conditions of universalizability with a conception of it as
being equivalent to the legislation of positive laws by democratically elected
representatives. Cases of the latter form of legislation may be in violation of
the former conception. They as such constitute instances of the unbearable
awfulness of law (sorry). "Current laws on the books" have no necessary
epistemic authority in the adjudication of claims to moral rightness.

One more minor point: The Discourse Theory gives the Categorical Imperative a
clear dialogical twist. No individual rational agent possesses the resources
for determining whether a maxim could hold also as a universal law. Discourse
is "epistemic" precisely in that universalizability can only be reciprocally
and jointly established under conditions of discourse.

Transcendentally-pragmatically yours,

Walter O.
MUN