[lit-ideas] Re: Great Lakes machine guns raise ire in Canada

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:47:30 EDT

Ursula sent a link to an article -- the first paragraph is:
<<The United States Coast Guard has started to patrol the Great Lakes  with
machine guns mounted on their vessels and is conducting live-ammunition
training drills on the U.S. side to prepare officers to combat terrorists
flooding
across the border from Canada by boat. >>
Sheer  insanity.  And can one of you military types explain to me what
"live-ammunition training drills" really means?  I mean, obviously they are
practicing being prepared what they think they might have/want to with live
ammo  --
but why use live ammo?  And what kind of safety boundaries are set so  that
no one gets live-ammoed to death by accident?  And what do they aim  at?

Julie  Krueger
Still way behind  on e-mail

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Great Lakes machine
guns raise ire in Canada  Date: 9/28/2006 8:24:10 A.M. Central Standard Time
From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
This is all so sad for the world.  I feel  like we're all riding a huge
downward spiral that no one knows how to  stop.  As a Canadian, I'm
offended by the American authorities'  ridiculous propaganda about
terrorists  'flooding' across the Canadian  border.  But mostly, I'm sad.

And, Irene, while I am suggesting here  that the world is going to hell
in a handbasket, there are really  (relatively) few people that are
steering intentionally in that direction  (and even they don't really
want to destroy the world.  They merely  don't care if the world stands
in the way of what they want).  The  vast, vast majority of people just
want to live their lives and pass the  world on to their children.   But
those few with their hands on  the handbasket are so morally bereft that
they don't care about any of  us.  The rest of us are hornswoggled and
boondoggled and stupid to  within an inch of our lives.

Anyway, this article made me mad and sad  this  morning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060928.wlakes28/BNStory/N
ational/?cid=al_gam_nletter_newsUp