[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Biblical Belt

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:15:09 EDT

<<The idea of mere humans having the power to bless is  blasphemous
and smacks of Popery, something us Bilblebelters don't cotton  to.>>

You really wouldn't take well to Judaism, Mike.  Half the prayer  service
consists of sentences which begin with "Baruch atah adonai, eloheinu  melek
ha-olam" (Blessed are you Lord our God, Master of the Universe....).   When you
eat
bread you say "Blessed are you Lord our God Master of the Universe  who
brings forth bread from the earth" -- when you do *anything* you bless God
first.
Prayers are interspersed frequently with "Baruch HaShem" (blessed  is the
Name (of God)).  Interesting, the emphasis in Christianity on God  blessing
people and the emphasis in Judaism on people blessing God.   Actually I think
it's
more an acknowledgement -- "I recognize that you are a  Blessed One"....but
that's not how much rabbinic commentary talks about  it.  I read a piece on the
blessing of God in Judaism by Heschel, I think,  once, (or maybe Kaplan?)
which I thought profound and can no longer recall where  I found.  I really
need
to start making a bibliography on the computer of  every quote, essay, or
passage in anything I read that I think meaningful.   Oh to be so organized.
Oh to
be organized at all.  Off to hear Kerry  in Jeff City today.  Bless him.
(When I asked my teenage  step-daughter if she was interested in seeing Kerry,
her 17 year old friend  looked up and said entirely innocently "Who's John
Kerry?".  I'm still  shaking my head.

Julie Krueger