[lit-ideas] Re: Geary's Biblical Belt

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:54:12 -0400

>Julie writes:

>You really wouldn't take well to Judaism, Mike.  Half the prayer  service
>consists of sentences which begin with "Baruch atah adonai, eloheinu  melek
>ha-olam" (Blessed are you Lord our God, Master of the
>Universe....).   When you eat
>bread you say "Blessed are you Lord our God Master of the Universe  who
>brings forth bread from the earth" -- when you do *anything* you bless
>God  first.
>Prayers are interspersed frequently with "Baruch HaShem" (blessed  is the
>Name (of God)).  Interesting, the emphasis in Christianity on God  blessing
>people and the emphasis in Judaism on people blessing God.

Except 'dem Caflicks!

I'm reminded of this little gem from Monty Python's "Meaning of LIfe"

Chaplain: Let us praise God. Oh Lord...
Congregation: Oh Lord...
Chaplain: Oooh you are so big...
Congregation: Oooh you are so big...
Chaplain: So absolutely huge.
Congregation: So ab - solutely huge.
Chaplain: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here I can tell you.
Congregation: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here I can tell you.
Chaplain: Forgive Us, O Lord, for this dreadful toadying.
Congregation: And barefaced flattery.
Chaplain: But you are so strong and, well, just so super.
Congregation: Fan - tastic.

 From my experiences in Roman Catholic Churches, this is not too far from
the truth.
Maybe the Jews really mean it. Maybe some of them don't.

On that note, not to make this too literary (God Forbid), has anyone read
Douglas Rushkoff's "Nothing Sacred: The Truth About Judaism"? If so, what
did you think?

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx