[lit-ideas] Found Poetry

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:46:45 -0400

Julie writes:

I really need
to start making a bibliography on the computer of every quote, essay, or
passage in anything I read that I think meaningful.

US answers:

I keep a simple textpad open (named 'desk notes') all the time for transferring
things that I want to keep.  Quotations, poems, bits of letters, lots of old
Phil-Lit and new Lit-Ideas bits and pieces.  Also web addresses and book and
movie recommendations.  I used to bookmark lots of pages, but then never
returned to them, or if I did, couldn't always find what exactly recommended
them for bookmarking in the first place.  Now, I cut and paste the bit that
intrigued me (along with the link) into my desk notes.  Provides a running
commentary for me of what I find (and found) interesting.

I have folders for course related stuff, but the longest and best folder is
simply called 'found poetry'.  It contains bits and pieces of wit and wisdom or
anything temporarily masquerading as such.  Stuff I don't want to lose track
of.  Sometimes bits of stuff I write to others.  Questions.  Suggestions.  It's
kind of (or exactly)like an 18th C commonplace book.  I used to do this
physically when I was young and those books now provide little glimpses of who
I was then.

Every year, I ask my first-year students what they would put into a time
capsule to keep themselves alive for their descendants a hundred years from
now.  My own answer would be this 'found poetry' file.  It is who I am.

Ursula
finding poetry everywhere

Here's a wee excerpt of what I kept this week:

-----------------------------

In case you need some more ways to 'waste' your own time, I include a few links
to sculpture you might like.  My sister and I happened upon one of the
sculptures in New Harmony, Indiana.  Intrigued, I googled the sculptor and
found how busy he has been.  I think you will be charmed by the twigman...an
interesting byway, for sure.

http://www.sculpture.org/documents/scmag00/march00/dough/dough.htm

http://www.smith.edu/artmuseum/exhibitions/dougherty/

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues00/dec00/dougherty.html

http://www.artfocus.com/yardworking.html

http://www.pittsburghfirst.com/ae/20030606overviewae2.asp

So many ways to make a mark in the world.
So many ways to keep faith with life.
So many ways to say thank you.

-------------------------

To A Frustrated Poet
R. J. Ellmann

This is to say
I know
You wish you were in the woods,
Living the poet life,
Not here at a formica topped table
In a meeting about perceived inequalities in the benefits and allowances
offered to
employees of this college,
And I too wish you were in the woods,
Because it's no fun having a frustrated poet
In the Dept. of Human Resources, believe me.
In the poems of yours that I've read, you seem ever intelligent and decent and
patient in a way
Not evident to us in this office,
And so, knowing how poets can make a feast out of trouble,
Raising flowers in a bed of drunkenness, divorce, despair,
I give you this check representing two weeks' wages
And ask you to clean out your desk today
And go home
And write a poem
With a real frog in it
And plums from the refrigerator,
So sweet and so cold.

See also this ... http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?prmID=1380

--------------------------------------

Have you read Zola?  Germinal is on my ten-best list.

----------------

The great mystery is not that we should have been thrown down here at random
between the profusion of matter and that of the stars; it is that from our very
prison we should draw, from our own selves, images powerful enough to deny our
nothingness.

André Malraux, Man's Fate (1933)

"Newton was not the first of the age of reason. He was the last of the
magicians, the last of the Babylonians and Sumerians, the last great mind which
looked out on the visible and intellectual world with the same eyes as those
who began to build our intellectual inheritance rather less than 10,000 years
ago."[12]

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/newton.html

----------------------------------

Maybe what's good gets a little bit better.  And maybe what's bad gets gone.
It goes like it goes.   Jennifer Warnes

-----------------------------------

Trisha Yearwood
Coming back to you      Leonard Cohen    Tower of Song (tribute album)

"Spreads like Benecol, which are made from plant stanol esthers, are lower in
trans fat than regular margarine and have been shown to lower the risk of heart
disease," says Kendall. They especially help people taking statin drugs to
lower their blood cholesterol levels. "But," she adds, "they are more
expensive, too, so if you are at risk of heart disease, they may be worth the
price."

 Why 'too' instead of 'but'?     logic?

---------------------------------

Kurt Vonnegut short story
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

--------------------------------------

Early Modern Texts
http://www.earlymoderntexts.com/

----------------------------

New Yorker article about bombings in Spain   --  but other concerns as well
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/

should return to it

Lit-id

English professor:   The point of living a good life is to understand Joyce at
the end of it (or something like that -- should find the actual quotation)

   Leeks in Olive Oil

    Recipe By     : The Complete Book of Turkish Cooking/Bobb1744
    Categories    : Side Dishes                      Turkish
                    Carrots                          Leeks
                    Vegetables                       Ethnic

       2      pounds        Leeks
         1/3  cup           Extra virgin olive oil
       2      small         Carrots -- halved & slced
       2      tablespoons   Uncooked rice
       1 1/2  teaspoons     Sugar
         3/4  teaspoon      Salt
                            Juice of half lemon
       1 1/2  cups          Water

    Trim leeks.  Remove a few of the outer layers.  Slice 3/4" thick, discard
    tough green leaves.  Wash well in several changes of water.

     In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil.  Stir in leeks & carrots.  Cover & cook
    very gently for 30 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally.
    Blend in the remaining ingredients in order.  Cover & simmer for 30 minutes,
    checking the liquid.  Add more water if necessary.  When fully cooked, it
    should be very moist but not watery.  Serve cold with lemon juice.

  Serve as part of a buffet including other vegetable dishes.

  ------------------------------

  other recipes

 http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/africa/middle-east/armenian/

 Kick Bush out of office or we'll be invading Iran next

 tom Waits lyrics
 http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/tom_waits/big_joe_and_phantom_309.html

 name for my blog:    throwing like a girl