[lit-ideas] Re: Geary is testing us...

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:45:07 -0400

 >>Barbecuing w/ George is my idea of the 7th circle of hell.

Was finally persuaded to watch _Fahrenheit 9/11_. The movie didn't have
the paranoiac case-building and foaming at the mouth I expected. Instead
it had something far more devastating.

Fahrenheit 9/11 was the first depiction of Bush I've ever seen that
reveals him as a snotty, privileged asshole.

The film cancels out the carefully-crafted image sets associated with
Bush. He comes off--not as a cowboy wannabe, not as an embattled
statesman wannabe, not even as a goofball at the microphone--but as a
smug asshole. For the first time I understood that what appears to so
many as "Bush the Moron" is in fact his incredibly smug inner-frat boy
filtered through the rhetorical gestures and cadences of a Southern
Baptist preacher.

No wonder the Republican PR machine was hysterical about the movie. In a
purely filmic way, it gives a glimpse of Bush's real personality, maybe
the first ever. And it is not a pretty sight.

 >>There are jerk-off circles?

As our society becomes more regimented, these circles will be
exclusively replaced by lines.