[lit-ideas] Re: GORB

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:39:44 -0700

Julie wrote

I didn't really get that sense when I browsed it -- the page I stumbled across was an invitation to anonymously rate and remark about politicians -- the thinking, I guess, is that people would be more honest if they weren't John Hancocking, so to speak.

I don't know of many Internet sites where people are likely to respond to polls, comment on blogs/news stories, etc. using their own names. Mostly it's Old Oligarch replying to Youthful Hubris. I do the Harris Poll online, and anonymity is one reason I give my honest opinion on whether I would pay extra for products that weren't tested on animals, (probably) or whether I plan to buy a new cell phone in the next six months (no). Elections are, after all, anonymous ratings of politicians.

Greenpigs99