[lit-ideas] Free for Lunch

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:47:14 EDT

In a message dated 4/1/2011 10:15:23  A.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
In any case, Dworkin's reported  points hardly reflect a great mind at work.

----

Oddly, he  wouldn't think Minds Work. Workers work.

---

Oddly, Strawson's  point towards free-will is well-proven. "We use
imperatives, and other  expressions which only make sense _on condition_ that
ours
is not a  deterministic world."

----

I have applied the claim  cross-specifically.

A dog can obey a command, "Sit" -- but not others  (e.g. "Talk"). For this
reason, we deny free will to dogs.

----- America  is called 'the land of the freedom'. This is an example used
by  Grice,

"free for lunch".

"We can imagine that in Ancient Rome, a  slave could ask another -- "Are
you free for lunch?". The implicature being NOT  that ours is not a
deterministic world, but other." Or something.

J. L.  Speranza
---- for the Swimming-Pool Library