[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have Free Will?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:26:04 -0400

It's obvious that every philosopher lives her or his life just like all of us, worrying, planning, excusing, praising and criticising, just as if free will were true. There is no other way to live, after all. But it doesn’t mean they are all believers. Perhaps life happens...just happens. And our interior stories about what it all means come after the fact.

Science, ever peeling away from philosophy, experiments and observes and measures and finds...that sometimes it seems that we move before our brain sends the message to move...as though our brains are playing catch up. This is spooky stuff and there are ethicists pondering what to do if science proves there is no free will. What will happen if people stop believing that they are choosing? Perhaps the scientists should keep it to themselves. Perhaps no one would believe them anyway.
Ursula
shamelessly dipping into this conversation without having done the requisite reading...