[lit-ideas] Re: Evidence that Hezbollah Uses Human Shields

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:45:11 +0100

Thanks for those Eric.

Ignoring the rhetoric and concentrating on the videos and photos (and on the assumption that they are all valid), I can accept that there were instances where Hezbollah forces were stationed in and around residential areas. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that those residences were occupied. And it certainly provides no evidence to support claims that Hezbollah forcibly lined up citizens as shields - that is prevented them from leaving.

Where fighters were dressed in civilian garb, is that so they can blend in with civlians or because they haven't got any uniforms. How can the photographer know what the reason is for their attire? Did he ask them? I see this as more mythologising.

On the other side of the fence, Jonathan Cook, a journalist resident in Nazareth, has written about IDF positions, including barracks and munitions factories, being located close to residential areas inside Israel. You'll note that journalists in Israel were operating under orders from the IDF and were not allowed to show general shots showing where rockets were impacting. Although a Katushka is not pin point accurate, it is certainly not random. The limited casualties in Israel from more than a thousand rockets fired must have something to do with where they hit as well as the depth of Israeli bunkers.

To paraphrase FoxNews (but with a sense of meaning behind it), there needs to be some balance here which includes being realistic about what Hezbollah are. Declaring them all carte blanche as terrorists allows too much of the rhetoric to get past as fact.

For instance earlier today (yesterday now since it's 2.24am), Phil wrote:

"Hezbollah fired more than a thousand rockets well beyond the
attacking Israeli forces, targeting Israeli cities."

True, although I'd gues that they also had targets away from the cities.

"Hezbollah targeted Israeli civilians."

Unsubstantiated since we don't know what their targets in the cities were and we don't know for sure what the tolerances in their katushka's was. Just as the IDF wouldn't (we would hope) intentionaly target Lebanese citizens, it doesn't follow that Hezbollah would.

Simon

PS.

A 'religious' man came calling today. When I opened the door he turned round, his bible open, a finger pointed at a certain line.

"Today," he said, "I thought we could talk about..."

"Hold on," I said, interrupting. "I'm a devout athiest."

He blinked, but only once. "Do you think about what's happening in the world?"

"Yes", I replied. "But I'd rather not consider it in religious terms so I'd prefer to pass on the conversation."

"But..."

"No!"

"Are you..."

"Yes!"

Now I didn't close the door in his face. I was standing there when he turned and sloped back down the path.

It felt like a scene from one of the Poltergeist films.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006

OTTAWA - The words of a Canadian United Nations observer written just days before he was killed in an Israeli bombing of a UN post in Lebanon are evidence Hezbollah was using the post as a ''shield'' to fire rockets into Israel, says a former UN commander in Bosnia.

_________
Photos that damn Hezbollah
Chris Link
July 30, 2006 12:00am

THIS is the picture that damns Hezbollah. It is one of several, smuggled from behind Lebanon's battle lines, showing that Hezbollah is waging war amid suburbia.

The images, obtained exclusively by the Sunday Herald Sun, show Hezbollah using high-density residential areas as launch pads for rockets and heavy-calibre weapons.

Dressed in civilian clothing so they can quickly disappear, the militants carrying automatic assault rifles and ride in on trucks mounted with cannon.

The photographs, from the Christian area of Wadi Chahrour in the east of Beirut, were taken by a visiting journalist and smuggled out by a friend.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,19955774-5007220,00.html