[lit-ideas] Re: European civil war

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:43:43 -0800 (PST)

--- Steve Chilson <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't get a Muslim vibe on the EU's treating of
> Turkey to join favoured
> status, for example.  It's a white christian
> capitalist vibe, isn't it
> then?

I am not sure what you are saying - that Muslims are
not protesting about Turkey's treatment ? I admit that
I don't lose the night's sleep over this, but it is
remarkable (and somewhat ironic) that the staunchly
secular Turkey cannot make it into the European Union,
while the staunchly Catholic Poland not only can get
in but is actually able to obstruct the European
Constitution.

Btw, today's Guardian has an article that should be
pertinent to this thread:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,11374,1183413,00.html