[lit-ideas] Re: Elmer Gantry Gets the Boot

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:54:37 -0800

Eric wrote:

Homer Simpson is the guy in _Day of the Locust_ who is embroiled in the group lynching of the child actor, isn't he? The guy who moves to LA "for his health"?

He's the guy with the big hands who moves to LA after a bout of pneumonia. I don't remember a group lynching—just an apocalyptic scene at the end but I think Homer may have precipitated the riot by stomping on a kid who had hit him with a rock. Very upbeat book. I used to think Nathaniel West was the Next Big Thing (avant la lettre) but I'm not sure I could read him again.

Robert Paul