[lit-ideas] Re: Elmer Gantry Gets the Boot

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:32:25 -0500

Interesting subject line, Eric. Just last week, I was in Toronto and sat in the sun with a glass of wine across from a Mexican restaurant called Tortilla Flats and wondered about the appropriation of the name. Did the owner envision a connection with Steinbeck or had he merely heard the words somewhere and liked them? How many of the restaurant's customers, might we suppose, understand the reference? And does it matter? Then I saw a place called Jeremiah and the Bullfrog. How many passers-by recognize the allusion? Does it matter? Are these allusions just a little gravy for those of us who see them? And how many do we miss?

My students seem less and less to recognize Biblical or literary allusions. Instead, they refer me to Homer Simpson. Yet, Homer, surely an intentional allusion himself, refers constantly to that wider world of art and literature. Is he educating his hearers? Or amusing himself? Or does it matter. Maybe all that matters is that we have common reference points -- words and images that communicate archetypes. Like Elmer Gantry...

Ursula, musing instead of marking, in North Bay.

Eric wrote:

from mediabistro.com

Religious Broadcasters' Board Dumps Pat Robertson

Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson, criticized by some evangelicals for comments about Venezuela's president and Israel's prime minister, lost a bid for re-election to the National Religious Broadcasters' board of directors.