[lit-ideas] Re: Diary of Public School Girl

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:37:07 +0100

>"The Victorian public-school boy, the Gymnasiast or lycéen."

this makes slightly more sense in that (in the UK) though grammar schools
certainly
existed then, they appear to have been schools of Latin grammar till the
late nineteenth century, and they only took their modern form after 1944. Or so
Wikipedia says; but it also has an entry on my brother's second school, that
suggests something rather different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowbridge_Grammar_School

>"Gymnasiast" seems to be Steiner's misreference to the German Gymnasium

Gymnasiast is correct (it is the term for a student at a Gymnasium) but neither
a gymnasiast nor a lyceen is comparable to a public schoolboy (despite
my comment above).  ('Public-school
boy' may be a nineteenth-century wording!)

>Well, let's not be surprised if this "Diary of a Public School Girl"
>(1st edn. 1930, 2nd printing 1931) does _not_ qualify as what Geary
>call "mild erotica

:)

as you say, the Steiner thing may simply show he isn't (wasn't) British

Judy Evans, Cardiff