[lit-ideas] Re: Der Finhest How-where

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:08:55 -0700

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 4/12/2010 11:46:34, Ritchie writes:
"18th June, 1940,  the 125th anniversary  of the Battle of Waterloo,
beginning at 3:49  p.m. and lasting for thirty six  minutes."

---

Oops. Sorry, but I won't be able to sleep otherwise. So is he suggesting that "their finest hour" was back in 1811, the Waterloo battle? In which case, he changed the definition when he used it to refer to the 1939-1941
period.  Period.

Churchill didn't mention the anniversary in his speech, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't aware of the connection. There's a good couple of pages on the speech in Stephen Bungay, "The Most Dangerous Enemy; A History of the Battle of Britain."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon