[lit-ideas] Re: Der Finhest How-where

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:55:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/2010 8:32:33 P.M. Argentina Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

She
talked about "Der Finhest How-where," a phrase from a  speech by
Churchill.  No doubt there were moments when I  sounded equally weird
to their ears.

----

One wonders...

What makes an "hora" (in Latin), "fina"

----- In Latin, Churchill's adage is false.

I think he did not mean the 'the' of Russell ('the king of France is
bald').

"The finest hour" -- NEVER

"Our finest hour"

by which he meant Cathy.

Cathy, in the north of England, is referred to as "Our Cathy"

Our Cathy's father: "Our Cathy, do you want to make some tea for our
Doris?"

Our Cathy: No, our father. Our Doris is dead-asleep".

Our Cathy's father: Well, go on and WAKE our Doris.

Our Cathy: "Our father, I cannot do that to our Doris"

--- Bugger off, then.

----

---

"Our finest hour"

----

nostra fina hora

in Latin.

But try to find a classical or classy quote with 'hour'.

My best piece of operatic ballet is actually, the Dance of the Hours:

From Eckerman, impressario at the Daly's:

"Our finest hour has been our Cathy," no dubt.

Etc.

That woman should have stuck with the Gallic -- Churchill NEVER meant 'our'
 to involve Frogs (I love Frogs!)

JLS