[lit-ideas] Re: Democrats

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:03:46 +0900

On 2/26/06, Stan Spiegel <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But concluding that Democrats have no clear message is not warranted. It's
> only warranted if you think a clear message is clear only if it's succinct
> enough to fit on a bumper sticker.

Thanks, Stan.

One can admit, as I do, that the Democratic Party has had trouble
developing sound bites—in large part because we appreciate the fact
that the world is a complex place and are thus immune both to the
charms of market fundamentalism (remember the Great Depression) and to
the base appeals of "Got a problem with Muslim terrorists, go kick
some raghead butt." But, in fact, there is no need for excuses. Anyone
who can point a browser to the Democratic Party website can see for
themselves evidence that the proposition that "Democrats don't know
what they stand for" is absolutely false, a mem propagated by the
right-wing noise machine.

FYI, From the DNC Web Page, http://www.democrats.org/, click on "Agenda"

Strength at home
Strength overseas
Economic growth
Better education
Secure retirement
Affordable healthcare
Honest government
Election reform
Protecting our environment
Civil rights and justice

From the Democratic Party Charter and Bylaws: Section 17. Democratic
Party Credo.
We Democrats are the oldest political party in America and the
youngest in spirit. We will remain so,because we enjoy the challenge
of government. Time and again, for almost two centuries, the
Democratic Party has made government work -- to build and defend a
nation, to encourage commerce, to educate our children, to promote
equal opportunity, to advance science and industry, to support the
arts and humanities, to restore the land, to develop and conserve our
human and natural resources, to preserve and enhance our built
environment, to relieve poverty, to explore space. We have reached
difficult and vital goals.

We recognize that the capacity of government is limited but we regard
democratic government as a force for good and a source of hope.

At the heart of our party lies a fundamental conviction, that
Americans must not only be free, but they must live in a fair society.
We believe it is the responsibility of government to help us achieve
this fair society.

* a society where the elderly and the disabled can lead lives of
dignity and where Social Security remains an unshakable commitment;
* a society where all people can find jobs in a growing full-employment economy;
* a society where all workers are guaranteed without question the
legal right to join unions of their own choosing and to bargain
collectively for decent wages and conditions of employment;
* a society where taxes are clearly based on ability to pay;
* a society where the equal rights of women are guaranteed in the Constitution;
* a society where the civil rights of minorities are fully secured and
where no one is denied the opportunity for a better life;
* a society where both public and private discrimination based upon
race, sex, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, ethnic
identity, sexual orientation, economic status, philosophical
persuasion or physical disability are condemned and where our
government moves aggressively to end such discrimination through
lawful means;
* a society where we recognize that the strengthening of the family
and the protection of children are essential to the health of the
nation;
* a society where a sound education, proper nutrition, quality medical
care, affordable housing, safe streets and a healthy environment are
possible for every citizen;
* a society where the livelihoods of our family farmers are as stable
as the values they instill in the American character;
* a society where a strong national defense is a common effort, where
promoting human rights is a basic value of our foreign policy, and
where we ensure that future by ending the nuclear arms race.

This is our purpose and our promise.

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku