[lit-ideas] Re: Deep Poverty at Record Levels, Where's That?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 15:19:13 -0500 (EST)

-----Original Message-----

Average Americans are going in this direction.  We're not yet working two jobs,
but most households have two earners to keep them one step ahead of their debt,
hoping one of them doesn't lose their job.  Out of control consumerism is to
blame for some of it, and so are grossly inflated house prices driven by banks'
new legislation authored by them.  One household earners often can't even keep
up with their debt.  I'll side to some extent with Lawrence in that I believe
all children need two parents, one of each sex, and I would penalize single
parent households (don't ask) by giving the children benefits but none to the
moron parent who chooses this lifestyle.  One kid, maybe that can be an
accident; two is ridiculous.  Probably the religious right would fight it tooth
and nail, so once again Lawrence and I would have to part ideological company